The Ordeal

It was not the unlucky 13th day (incidentally it is today), but it was certainly the 13 minutes past 7 p.m. in the month of December, when I had started from my workplace for homely abode, but I landed in a hospital.

Somebody rushing through the newly opened service lane dashed my bike from left side. For few moments, I was not in my senses. When I collected myself, I realised the gravity of those horrible moments- three stitches on my left eyebrow and two crepe bandages on my legs, apart from bruises here and there all over my body. One of my colleagues from the office, who brought me there, was standing before me.

Every alternate days, bandages were changed for two weeks. I breathed a sigh of relief, when both bandages and stitches were removed. But the very next day, my left leg was full of pain with swelling. My doctor prescribed strong painkillers, and pain subsided; but the problem continued and started aggravating.

My wife started feeding and guiding me like a kid, and my kids got relieved from being tutored, despite my presence.

In the meantime, my well-wishers came to know about the accident. Some of them thought that it might be a normal year-end phenomenon of utilising the leave that would lapse at the close of the year. Some of my relatives thought it was merely an excuse for not attending the family ceremony at Varanasi.

When the genuineness of the case was established beyond doubt, my colleagues started calling me either telephonically or in person to express sympathy and to suggest how to come out of this tangle in the easiest and quickest possible manner.

Somebody advised me to seek second opinion of some renowned orthopaedic expert. When I expressed confidence in the treatment of my doctor, another friend warned me that saving money on doctor’s fees might prove counter-productive.

Under the tremendous pressure from my family and friends, I went to another physician and an orthopaedist. While visiting three doctors every alternate day with one leg in the lap of my wife or some friend, I used to apprehend what would happen, if my second leg also got injured on the way.

But the real problem cropped up when I came across diametrically opposite advices. While the physician advised me to start some leg exercise, the orthopaedist prescribed crepe bandages with no movement. How could a layman like me decide which medical opinion was the best one? Somebody had an answer, “Consult another doctor.” My apprehension was that I would be left with fourth opinion, and my job would become more difficult.

I therefore, chose a midway approach, adopting something from each prescription. But then a more knowledgeable friend came to my house, though belatedly, with his homeopathic prescription and proscription- 4 globules each from Ledium, Arnica and Rhus Tox three times a day, with no garlic, onion and toothpaste during the period of treatment.

On my query that it might interfere with the functioning of allopathic medicines, which I was already taking, he assured me that Ledium would ensure smooth functioning of both types of medicines. I started taking these medicines as well, but couldn’t do away with my toothpaste.

After four gruelling weeks of mental and physical agony, I started walking on my feet. I gave due credit to all the doctors, as each of them claimed that but for his advice, I would not have been cured. My homeopathic friend also talked highly of the miracles of his medicines. I don’t know which one was effective (or may be combined effect), but I finally felt relieved that I was out of that ordeal.

–Kaushal Kishore


  1. Oh, that must have been painful, physically and mentally. I sympathise. However, you are fortunate to have a loving caring family and some good friends close by 💐💐🙋‍♂️

    Liked by 1 person

    1. In Indore, where I was posted then, people were very friendly and accommodative. And family, of course, was always there for me. Thank you very much for your beautiful comment 🙏💐

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Haha, this is an old story that I could not write earlier. In the beginning itself, I have said it was in the month of December. At that time, I could watch TV only. No reading, no writing, no teaching.🙂

      Liked by 3 people

  2. Sorry to hear that. KK, Hope you get well soon. I know. Bicycles can be dangerous. I guess both Western doctor and your herbalist friend helped. LOL. It takes time for the bones to heal.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. This is an old story, Haoyan. And it was a bike. I also think that I got well due to combined effect of medicines and mixed blessings of all concerned. I’m fine, nothing to worry. Thanks for your kind words and concern 🙂💐

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Yes, Diana, that was a great learning for me. Accident happens in a fraction of second that can bring a lot of miseries. The suffering itself gives a lot of lessons. Thank you for sharing your reflections 😊💐🙏


  3. Ouch! I’m so glad you eventually recovered. And I’m so sorry this happened and that some of your family members didn’t believe you were hurt. Here’s wishing you a better year-end this year. 🙂🤗

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Yes, that was the best part. I have no ill feeling towards anyone. They initially thought I wanted to make an excuse for skipping the programme. Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts 😊💐

      Liked by 1 person

      1. Thank you, Cherie! It was Sunday in 2020. But this story is old one, and I don’t remember the day, but as I have mentioned in the first para of story, it was definitely not the 13 th day.

        Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s